automatic chicken coop opener

• 8 Replies

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:10 »
does anyone own one of these and do they work? any recommendations where to get one?  i need to come up with a chicken welfare back up plan as i'm away next weekend and no one is available to shut the little devils in a night.  any suggestions?

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Re: automatic chicken coop opener
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:18 »
Hi

I have one of these that is linked to a control panel in my porch, its brilliant and I wouldn't be without one now (nor would the girls).
My hubbie made mine for me out of bits and pieces he had in his workshop (he is an engineer) I think they are quite expensive to buy so depends on how much you need it.
I have found mine brilliant in the Winter as I don't worry about rushing home from work to lock them in or in the Summer they are up and out far earlier than me and contained in their until a reasonable hour to allow them free range.

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21 »
that sounds great, but don't think marrying an engineer is an option at the moment!  and my diy skills aren't much to be envied!

geoffwales

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:33 »
Hi Kazoo i saw your post on automatic opener do you have any plans
Thx geoff

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:02 »
Hi Deano.

These people do them...

LINK

as do these...

LINK

No idea if they're any good but there are a couple of members who use them.

Rob  8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 14:32 »
They are ok but I must warn you.  I have had four breaks in the line.  Partly my fault because of a poorly positioned opener. The door closes when the line is broken.  I still check my girls morning and night even though I have an opener.

P&RH
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

marran

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 16:00 »
Quote from: "Roughlee Handled"
They are ok but I must warn you.  I have had four breaks in the line.  Partly my fault because of a poorly positioned opener. The door closes when the line is broken.  I still check my girls morning and night even though I have an opener.

P&RH

Mine is a winner can not remember who i got it from but it was a link off this site about 12 months ago . As i work shifts it helps me out alot!!. About £120

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 17:49 »
I have been using them for about 2 years without any problems at all. I have them on my sheds and useful with a timer in the morning in the summer particulary as I have cockerels.
I have bought mine from Robs top link -Wells Poultry as they are so helpful and will talk you through setting up etc. about £75.00 each. Very reliable. :D

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 22:34 »
I will have the same problem when my sister gets married at the other side of the country.  I have a friend who will come and check on them, feed them and eat the eggs but as she has young children I don't think i can ask her to come and let them out first thing in the morning and put them away again at night.  I'm wondering if, as I live in suburbia and the run is fenced in if I could leave their pop hole open.  I know I won't have any cat problems cos they've already scared them all off!  Do you think they would be okay.  I would be going on the friday afternoon and returning sunday morning.  May just have to bribe friend with lots of eggs in the next few months.........

xx
Has anyone used Arduino to program a chicken coop door opener?

Started by CAL on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 09:15
by MrTwang
xx
Automatic opener

Started by Mega on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 17:47
by Mega
xx
Automatic opener?

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 18:23
by Foxy
xx
DIY automatic pophole opener

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 23:50
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 36 queries.