scaly leg?

• 15 Replies

ceri green

• Experienced Member
scaly leg?
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:38 »
hi everyone

i think my cockerel may have the beginnings of scaly leg......his normallyblack legs have gradually over the last couple of weeks become whitish grey and the scales are definately raised. i found a thread on here and washed them in warm  water with hibiscrub in, rinsed and dried them and smeared in petroleum jelly.
i couldnt see any other mites on him but the light wasnt too good and he was struggling a bit anyway....i will try and have a better look tonight but if he has got scaly leg does this mean that he is bound to have other mites aswell?

none of the other birds are showing any changes of this nature to their legs or any other signs of infestation- should i expect it now? obviously i will check them all as soon as i can.
also the thread said that it mainly happens to older birds, but he is young, only about 8 months old

any advice/thoughts welcome  :)

Bodger

scaly leg?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:01 »
You wont see scaley mite, they are out of sight burrowing under the scales. They are a totally different creature to either redmite or Northern mite.
There are several things to paint the birds legs with that will erdadicate them. There are several threads on here that deal with the remedies.
I personally would seperate the affected bird until you've sorted the problem out. :D  Infact, it wouldn't hurt to treat all your birds even if at this time they don't show any signs or symptoms.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
scaly leg?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:39 »
Also, if your bird has been or is moulting the scales will be lifting and pale as the are shed and replaced in the same way as feathers.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
scaly leg?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 15:57 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Also, if your bird has been or is moulting the scales will be lifting and pale as the are shed and replaced in the same way as feathers.

ah.......didnt realise this......if it is just a moult will the fact that i've smeared his legs in vaseline do any harm? should i wash it all off again?

i dont think it is a moult tho...he is only  about 8 months and his plumage looks fine
but thanks for the advice, i will bear that in mind during future moults
 :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
scaly leg?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 17:20 »
The vasiline will be fine !!!

Go by Bodger's advice he knows what he's talinkg about !!!!  

It's not moultung in such a young bird, I must have missed that bit  :oops:

Bodger

scaly leg?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 17:25 »
Chickens don't moult the scales on there legs as such. Eventually its possible to scrape them off and reveal the new ones. One day, i'll try and show you a before and after picture but you must be sure that the scales are ready to come off or you'll make the birds sore. Eight months is far too early for this to be the case.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
scaly leg?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 17:34 »
Pictures please Bodger :D

raeburg

scaly leg?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 17:38 »
Invermectin drops kill the mites and egg withdrawal wont be a problem with a cockerel.  I'd still do the vaseline as well as it helps softten and loose any scales that need to come off.  Gently brush with a soft tooth brush.  My silkies quite like this :D

Bodger

scaly leg?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 17:44 »
There's not much of a blood supply to the part of the legs that have scales, so even the undoubtably good Ivermectin is none too good at controlling the little blighters.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
scaly leg?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 17:51 »
thanks all for your advice....has anyone else had much experience of this?

where do the mites come from originally and how long between the initial attack and noticeable symptoms?

i've had him 3 months now and he was fine when i got him, and as i said none of his 9 wives have any evidence of this or any other type of mite?

ceri green

• Experienced Member
scaly leg?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 17:52 »
oh and i forgot to say.... as i understand it the vaseline suffocates the little bleeders which is how it works?

raeburg

scaly leg?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 18:02 »
That's the theory.  Another treatment is the scaly leg lotion (catchy name huh) or (and I haven't tried this) the lotion that is used to kill scabies in humans (another skin burrowing parasite).  He must have been in contact with another bird with mites, but the effects can take a while to be obvious.

Jellyhead

scaly leg?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 18:30 »
I have used Vaseline quite a few times now and it works brill :wink: in fact often only one smearing does the trick. I must be lucky tho cos never had reason to separate affected bird :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Big Jen

scaly leg?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 19:47 »
An old poutry farmer told me to spray the legs with WD40 !!!
Never tried it myself, sounds a bit drastic- would stick with the vaseline.

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
scaly leg?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 21:13 »
:lol:  he wouldnt squeak when he walked!! :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Scaly leg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 17:41
by ANHBUC
xx
scaly leg

Started by henman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 11:58
by Vember
xx
Scaly leg?

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:57
by woodburner
xx
scaly leg

Started by kanu on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:34
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 36 queries.