Climbing veg/fruit

• 15 Replies

mumof4

Climbing veg/fruit
« on: February 02, 2008, 20:10 »
Can anyone suggest what veg/fruit I could plant that would make use of the ceiling space of a polytunnel.

This week i ordered a 12x20 foot polytunnel and it's got crop bars so i want to make best use of the space. I think it's 7ft foot high in the middle of the tunnel.

WG.

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 20:12 »
Tomatoes

Climbing rather than trailing
Okra
Sweet Potato
Cucumber

mumof4

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "WG."
Tomatoes

Climbing rather than trailing
Okra
Sweet Potato
Cucumber

Sweet potato sounds good - have to get my books out have no idea how to grow it.

WG.

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 20:23 »
See the Veg Index in the WYSIWYGGY link in my signature

mumof4

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 21:12 »
See the Veg Index in the WYSIWYGGY link in my signature

Thanks WG I'll give it a go.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 21:16 »
why not have a go at grapes?

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 06:26 »
A friend of mine grows some mental looking squashes on a frame that's at least head height.  I think they're called Spaghetti Squashes but can't be sure.  He had 5ft long fruit on them last year.

WG.

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 06:48 »
Quote from: "Contadino"
A friend of mine grows some mental looking squashes on a frame that's at least head height.  I think they're called Spaghetti Squashes but can't be sure.  He had 5ft long fruit on them last year.

1-Apr-1957
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/1/newsid_2819000/2819261.stm

PS - yes I have heard of Spaghetti Squashes :wink:

Rob the rake

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:26 »
Winter squashes do well in tunnels, but will need to be trained and supported as they are not true climbers. I've had great success with butternuts in a tunnel.
Climbing French beans do amazingly well under cover, much better than outdoors in the north. They can be trained back and forth, the plants will grow to at least 20' given the opportunity, and crop more heavily and for longer than outdoor grown beans. Successional sowing will give you beans from May to November.

I do miss my tunnel :(  but aint got room for one on my new plot.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mumof4

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 08:16 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
Winter squashes do well in tunnels, but will need to be trained and supported as they are not true climbers. I've had great success with butternuts in a tunnel.
Climbing French beans do amazingly well under cover, much better than outdoors in the north. They can be trained back and forth, the plants will grow to at least 20' given the opportunity, and crop more heavily and for longer than outdoor grown beans. Successional sowing will give you beans from May to November.

Rob the rake was you PT heated ????

Climbing F/beans - might seem dumb but could you explain back and forth do you mean go up canes and then arranged them around crop bars etc or to wind around canes on the way up and on the way down. May to Novemebr would be great.

Grapes - some on my site suggested planting one but wasn't sure how much room they would take up so will research that idea

Butternut squashes - last summer had 10 plants but only fruit from 4 plants but did end up with 10 good sized squashes so will try them in the tunnel.

gobs

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 08:19 »
Quote from: "Contadino"

1-Apr-1957
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/1/newsid_2819000/2819261.stm

PS - yes I have heard of Spaghetti Squashes :wink:

They're called 'god-grated' in some language. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Rob the rake

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 08:36 »
I send the beans up canes, and tie string to the top of the cane. The string is stretched along the roof of the tunnel for the beans to follow, and they grow seriously long but do lose their vigour after a while. I get over this by making successional sowings a month apart in March, April, May and June. The early sowing isn't always successful, but the others more than make up for it.  
Blue Lake is the variety I use. I believe that it was selected for indoor use, if I remember rightly. The tunnel, and now greenhouse were and are unheated.

Additionally, because the vine is horizontal the beans are much easier to see and harvest.

mumof4

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 08:48 »
I send the beans up canes, and tie string to the top of the cane. The string is stretched along the roof of the tunnel for the beans to follow, and they grow seriously long but do lose their vigour after a while. I get over this by making successional sowings a month apart in March, April, May and June. The early sowing isn't always successful, but the others more than make up for it.  
Blue Lake is the variety I use. I believe that it was selected for indoor use, if I remember rightly. The tunnel, and now greenhouse were and are unheated.

Additionally, because the vine is horizontal the beans are much easier to see and harvest.

Oh - will defo try that that makes real use of space

Many thanks

Rob the rake

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 08:55 »
How long's your tunnel, and what's it's orientation?

mumof4

Climbing veg/fruit
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 09:02 »
How long's your tunnel, and what's it's orientation?

It's 20foot long and 12ft wid. I'm in Bristol so weather isn't too bad. The plot gets the sun allday but the poly will be sited so the sun hits one long side for 1/2 day then the other for the afternoon. Behind about 50" from the rear of the poly is a fence with bushes and then trees. The plot on my left there are a green house and shed the plot on my right (mine too) is a shed and three plots area there are small trees. So i guess it s quite sheltered. Although being Bristol it is on a hill.

xx
Climbing fruit n veg

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 07:21
by sunshineband
question
Which Climbing Fruit Plant?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 21:21
by Sparkyrog
clip
Unusual frost damage of hardy-fruit flowers and likely outcomes for fruit?

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2020, 20:36
by DIY GRANDAD
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.