Companion planting.

• 15 Replies

Ruby Red

Companion planting.
« on: February 04, 2008, 22:51 »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but in general what can and what cant be planted in close proximity.  :)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Companion planting.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 23:00 »
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Companion planting.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08 »
Hi Ruby Red, I was looking at the idea of companion planting last yeara when I first took on my allotment.  To be honest I wasn't really that organised but I did a bit of research.  Most of it is in tables but I'll try to move that across.  This should give you a start though:

COMPANION PLANTING
This is a cultural system where two or more plants are grown in close proximity in order that they may provide some form of benefit to one or all of them. This could be to deter or act as a decoy for pests and diseases, or improve growth and flavour. Usually it is the aromatic foliage or flowers of the companion plant which deters the pest or draws it away.
· The improvement in growth or flavour is probably due to the companion plant adding some of the micronutrients or the roots may support microorganisms which improve their uptake. In the case of legumes they fix nitrogen, and White Clover is included in some grass seed mixes, for this reason - it is also drought resistant so 'greens up' quicker than grass when used in lawns.
·   Some plants exude protective chemicals (allelochemicals) from their roots or foliage which can deter pests, eg. African Marigolds produce thiopene which repels nematodes so it makes a good companion plant for root crops which are attacked by nematodes. This is given the title Allelopathy.
· Tall plants can provide shelter for lower-growing ones and create a microclimate allowing them to thrive where they may not normally grow. This may also protect them from pests
· Beneficial insects can be attracted to a cropping area by planting something which they use as a food nearby, eg. adult Hover Flies feed on nectar,but their larvae feed on aphids so planting nectar-rich flowering plants will attract them.
Marigolds and Garlic have a reputation for repelling a number of insect pests such as Aphids and Carrot Root Flies. The Mexican Marigold, Tagetes minuta or Muster-John-Henry, is an annual which grows to about 1.2 m (the species name refers to the flowers not the height of the plant) The roots have an insecticidal effect on nematodes and some effect on keeled slugs. The secretions responsible begin about 3 months after sowing and also affect the growth of Ground-elder (Aegopodium podagraria), Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), Couch grass (Agropyron repens), Lesser Celandine (Ranunculus ficaria )and Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea). It is grown as a half-hardy annual which can be planted out after the risk of frost has passed, but this does not usually give them a long enough growth period to flower and set seed in Britain. Deadheading prolongs the growth for protection purposes.

· Plant French marigolds in between tomato plants to deter aphids.
· Grow carrots and leeks together. Both have strong scents that drive away each other's pests.
· Plant nasturtium with cabbages - they are a magnet for caterpillars that will then leave the cabbages alone.
· Garlic planted among roses will ward off aphids.
· Grow dill in the garden to attract aphid-eating hoverflies.
· Make sure companions plants are planted at the same time as your edible crops to prevent pests from getting a foothold.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Companion planting.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:23 »
Here's a list of what can and can't be planted together.  I haven't tried most of these but this is what I found last year from a bit of online research.  I've also got a list og herbs which I add at some point.  It would be useful to know if anyone agrees with this or has tried these combinations.

Asparagus
Companion Plants:  Tomato, Parsley, Basil
Incompatible with:

Beans
Companion Plants:  Most Vegetables & Herbs
Incompatible with:

Beans, Broad
Companion Plants:  Potato, Cucumber, Maize, Strawberry, Celery, Summer Savory
Incompatible with: Onion

Beans, Runner
Companion Plants:  Maize, Summer Savory, Radish
Incompatible with: Onion, Beets, Kohlrabi, Sunflower

Cabbage Family
Companion Plants:  Aromatic Herbs, Celery, Beetroot, Onion Family, Chamomile, Spinach, Chard
Incompatible with: Dill, Strawberries, Runner Beans, Tomato

Carrots
Companion Plants:  Pea, Lettuce, Rosemary, Onion Family, Sage, Tomato
Incompatible with:

Celery
Companion Plants:  Onion & Cabbage Families, Tomato, Broad Beans, Nasturtium
Incompatible with: Dill

Cucumber
Companion Plants:  Beans, Maize, Pea, Sunflowers, Radish
Incompatible with: Potato, Aromatic Herbs

Aubergine (Eggplant)
Companion Plants:  Broad Beans, Marigold
Incompatible with:

Lettuce
Companion Plants:  Carrot, Radish, Strawberry, Cucumber
Incompatible with:

Maize (Corn)
Companion Plants:  Potato, Broad Beans, Pea, Pumpkin, Cucumber, Squash
Incompatible with: Tomato

Melon
Companion Plants:  Maize, Nasturtium, Radish,
Incompatible with:

Onion Family
Companion Plants:  Beetroot, Carrot, Lettuce, Cabbage Family
Incompatible with: Beans, Peas

Parsley
Companion Plants:  Tomato, Asparagus
Incompatible with:

Peas
Companion Plants:  Carrots, Radish, Turnip, Cucumber, Maize, Beans
Incompatible with: Onion Family, Gladiolus, Potato

Potato
Companion Plants:  Beans, Maize, Cabbage Family, Marigolds, Horseradish
Incompatible with: Pumpkin, Squash, Tomato, Cucumber, Sunflower

Pumpkins
Companion Plants:  Maize, Marigold
Incompatible with: Potato

Radish
Companion Plants:  Pea, Nasturtium, Lettuce, Cucumber
Incompatible with: Hyssop

Spinach
Companion Plants:  Strawberry, Cauliflower, Celery
Incompatible with:

Squash
Companion Plants:  Nasturtium, Maize, Marigold

Strawberry
Companion Plants:  Broad Beans, Lettuce, Onion, Spinach
Incompatible with: Cabbage

Tomato
Companion Plants:  Basil, Onion Family, Nasturtium, Marigold, Asparagus, Carrot, Parsley, Cucumber, Mint
Incompatible with: Potato, Fennel, Cabbage Family

Turnip
Companion Plants:  Pea

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Companion planting.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:33 »
Ole "Den" down at our lottie, grows onions between his runner beans, to ward off blackfly and always grows sweetpeas to attract bees, last year he had the best crop of the lot. Must be something init :!: As he says "Thats what me Dad always done"...

Ooops! sorry morning all  :)  Bye PAH  ( well okay- afternoon-now ) :)

Ruby Red

Companion planting.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 13:29 »
Thank you all for the brilliant replies. I shall look forward to implementing these ideas.  :D

gobs

Companion planting.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 14:31 »
Just be careful, as half of them will be old wives tales. :roll:

Big question, big answers, big and very important topic, little researched.

I have been very successfully growing broccoli and khol-rabi under my bean frame and cucumbers next to potatoes. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

noshed

Companion planting.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 15:36 »
A few flowers are nice and attract bees - I just chuck some cheap packets around and the naturtiums, nigella and borage self-seed like mad anyway.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Selkie

Companion planting.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 16:38 »
I agree with Noshed, flowers also attract lots of other beneficial insects - such as hoverflies.

Ruby Red

Companion planting.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 17:54 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Just be careful, as half of them will be old wives tales. :roll:

Big question, big answers, big and very important topic, little researched.

I have been very successfully growing broccoli and khol-rabi under my bean frame and cucumbers next to potatoes. :D

Old wives tales generally have an element of truth about them
    anyway. I suppose it will be trial and error. I dont want to rely on  
    chemicals because I have a good wildlife garden and dont want to
    upset the balance. :)

gobs

Companion planting.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 17:59 »
Quote from: "Ruby Red"

I suppose it will be trial and error. I dont want to rely on  
    chemicals because I have a good wildlife garden and dont want to
    upset the balance. :)

Exactly. 8)

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Companion planting.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 20:35 »
I want to give companion planting a try this year since last year I had a whole host of carrot flies visit my patch!
However the thing that I dont get is how does this fit in with like crop rotation?
Dont get me wrong I think it's a great idea it's just I'm learning as I go and you read stuff about use crop rotation, so I do, I have 3 sets of beds, 'others' 'brassicas' 'roots'. so for example my onions go in beds 'other' and carrots in the root bed. I manure the 'other' beds only, brassicas follow, then roots so they get the poorest soil which I understand is right, right? So If I put carrots with onions I guess I have to just manure under the onions and leave poor soil for the carrots? Is this what you do? Plus I guess I'll have to sort of block in the carrots with onions each side to get the best benefit?
I already manure the spuds in the root beds so I guess Im answering my own question but I would like to know what others are doing!!!

Thanks,

Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

gobs

Companion planting.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 20:43 »
You raise very right questions there Wayne, I personally don't bother with inter-planting onions with carrots as it does not work in my experience, so I don't get the problem of need for completely different soil and nutritional requirements for those two crops.

gobs

Companion planting.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 10:32 »
Well, on second thoughts and to be a cynic, you would probably find that onions would grow fine in poorer soils suited for carrots while some carrots will fork in any soil. :roll:  :lol:

But in general, companion planting can indeed complicate your rotations, Joy Larkcom does actually give such rotation plans in one of her books(title) I think it's called something like Potager gardening or similar. She recommends going by main crop of bed.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Companion planting.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 19:59 »
Sounds like I need to experiment, I'll do some and some and see how they go this year. I had a good crop of onions last year and grown from seed too, ailsa craig. this year I have bedfordshire champion and some nice red onions from tucker seeds to try.

xx
Companion planting:

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 14:33
by DD.
xx
Companion planting

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 09:16
by supersprout
xx
companion planting

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 22:19
by Flump
xx
companion planting

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 20:13
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.