compost toilet

• 16 Replies

buster

compost toilet
« on: February 17, 2008, 21:10 »
Hi everybody i am buster from lincoln, i have been a member for a few weeks now and have enjoyed reading through the forums at the different articles and have enjoyed them very much. Although i am not a new allotment holder i am on the hunt for some plans or ideas for a compost toilet for my plot. My misses and lads come down for the day most of the time and to avoid a hasty retreat(and not coming back) i think it is about time that i found out about alternative for toilets and i came up with the compost loo. thanks for reading if you have any ideas or suggestions i am open to all new input, thanks and cheers buster
re-home the ex battery hens

jack russell

compost toilet
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 21:34 »
hi buster and welcome  :wink:  The nearest i get to toilet composting is , that i have a bucket which i put the rabbit droppings in and whenever i need a No. 1 i go there once its full it is going in the compost bag (dumpy bag) :wink: .  I could never go for a number 2 anywhere but a proper loo and normally it must be my own   NEVER public i would rather soil me pants :lol:   I CAN WAIT :roll:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Ice

• muck spreader
compost toilet
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 21:41 »
I watched one being made on the tv and it seems to be a heck of an effort.  At the risk of being shot down in flames from the environment lobby have you considered a camping porta potty?  More power to you if you do make a composter though.
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
compost toilet
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 21:48 »
There must be a pub near by with the requisite offices  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
compost toilet
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 21:53 »
Gotta be better than the bucket in a shed we have on our site, the smell can knock you over at 50 paces  :shock:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
compost toilet
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 21:55 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Gotta be better than the bucket in a shed we have on our site, the smell can knock you over at 50 paces  :shock:

Yup... I'd go with the pub any day  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
compost toilet
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 21:57 »
  :lol:  don't blame you Aunty, ladies don't seem to be catered for on our plot, no pubs near either  :(

noshed

compost toilet
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 22:32 »
I saw them at the Centre for Alternative Technology - they might have plans
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

compost toilet
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 23:02 »
Bath Organic Group have put their plans on the internet I think. Some lotties at Barnsley have built a composting bog and they're happy to let folks visit (they built it with the help of the Bath Org Group)  The blurb says it gets used by a lot of people and doesn't stink cos it's been made properly. Worth a look on the internet

There's sommat called an Envirolet which is a complete composting bog but it looks just like a caravan toilet. It doesn't need any plumbing or running water but it's expensive

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
compost toilet
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 19:43 »
i just use a bucket and do it in the shed and then tip it on the compost heap as buster would know as he is my wonderfull neighbour i was telling you all about  :D  :D  :D buster rocks
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
compost toilet
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 21:19 »
My grannie had a toilet for maybe 50 years, simple system, little smell:

a frame to sit on, a bucket underneath... every time you use it throw some loose turf on top of the mess (I don't know if ordinary soil works too), whenever the bucket was getting fuller (or maybe more regularly, I was only about 10 at that time, memories are a bit faded) she emptied it out on the compost and buried it in a bit. Her compost was always lying for at least a year with being overturned once)

compostqueen

compost toilet
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:38 »
those composting bogs you make are a bit of an engineering feat but work well.  There's one at some lotties in Barnsley and they let folks go and visit and the plans are on the internet. The Bath group's one is featured on that DVD "The Allotment".

For wees only folks buy those Thunder Box things off ebay which is just like a Frytol bucket with a toilet seat on, which gets tipped onto the compost

robbobnbill

compost toilet
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 21:33 »
this website has a e-book you can download, dunno if its any good

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/

or download the e-book (20Mb!!)

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/pdf/humanure_handbook_third_edition.pdf

our lotty has a composting toilet, ill ask the chair if he has the plans, and try get a copy :)
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

robbobnbill

compost toilet
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 21:35 »
just found this, now this is what i call portable LOL

SuzanneG

Re: compost toilet
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 15:11 »
I've just found this company that sells compost toilets and have plans for compost toilets on there site.

http://www.freerangedesigns.co.uk/eco-driftwood-furniture/compost-toilets-1.html
compost-toilet_23_1.jpg

xx
compost bin

Started by jarigo on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 14:00
by Amilo
exclamation
compost loo's

Started by blanky on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 14:27
by doubledug
xx
Compost Bin

Started by crh75 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 06:19
by fatcat1955
xx
Compost ---

Started by Ozwytch on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 17:25
by Ozwytch

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.