Potato plants collapsed - help!

• 1 Replies

bb_odiham

« on: June 05, 2008, 19:24 »
I went to have a look at my potatoes today, only to find half of them have collapsed onto the other half.

It looks for all the world like there was a cat fight in there, which maybe there was - I can't figure it out.

But it also looks like possibly the plants collapsed under their own weight as some have reached over 3foot tall.

The bottom most leaves on the plants are yellow and wilted, but the top leaves and stems are healthy and green.

I figure the bottom yellow leaves are because there's not enough light, as I planted my seed potatoes too close together.

What should I do?

I've propped up the plants I could, but it's such a damn mess in there now.
I've had to cut back a lot of the broken stems.

Will my potatoes survive if I do that?

My other batch of potatoes - the ones I just threw in the ground without much soil prep - are fine. They have also started to flower.

I'm fairly upset, as this has literally happened overnight - the more I think about it, the more I'm sure there was an animal fight in the middle.
Then again, is it normal for the lower leaves of the potato plant to be yellow?

I'm wondering whether I shouldn't just dig up the collapsed plants, harvest what I can and use the space to grow other things

:(
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 22:40 »
If yours resemble another thread on the same problem, then they badly needed earthing up which both supports the stalks and covers any tubers sticking out. And yes, you've planted them far too close.  We space ours about a foot apart for light, nutrients and earthing up easily. Only solution if you haven't enough soil to earth up, is to get a bale of straw, pull off handfuls and stuff them between the stalks. The yellowing leaves is due to lack of light (overcrowding). When the stalks begin to die off, that's the time to harvest, and leave all flowers intact.

xx
Potato plants collapsed from rain help!

Started by Cuppateaandcake on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 10:15
by Mazzie
xx
Potato foliage collapsed

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 06:47
by elibump
xx
COLLAPSED TOMATOES

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Collapsed Onions

Started by SG6 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 19:40
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 38 queries.