Spring Onions

• 17 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Spring Onions
« on: July 23, 2008, 21:08 »
OK a little late maybe, but one to think about for next year & maybe start preparing now.

A lot of us had a slow start to the year with these things, but not my mate Ron next door to my half-plot. Ron is not a great believer in raised beds, except the one and only small one (about 3' x 4') that he has. This is what he does.....

In autumn every year, when all the pots of compost & grow bags are being chucked out, instead of just scattering them on the plot they all go into this raised bed, ready for his spring onions next year.

Early next year he will start them in plant cells, such as you would buy bedding plants in from the garden centres, a pihch to each cell. He'll pop them in the airing cupboard & bring them out AS SOON AS they germinate. They are then brought on in more gentle warmth & gradually hardened off.

When large enough to handle, they are planted in this raised bed, about 6" spacing, still in their clumps.

Believe you me, he was pulling them a good 4 weeks before anyone else & they were crackers!

This compost will then get dug into the plot after two uses & the raised bed is ready for the next lot.

I've got some spare gravel boards in the garage, I'm very tempted to make MY first raised bed where I've dug the tattys out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

agapanthus

Spring Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 21:13 »
Go for it DD!! :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
Spring Onions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 21:21 »
I will - it really does work - I think he bungs a handfull of growmore in for good measure. Mine aren't too bad, but two months ago his were twice the size of what I've got now. He gave me a few & they were really tasty & cruchy. Just bog standard White Lisbon.

agapanthus

Spring Onions
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 21:23 »
Quote from: "DD."
I will - it really does work - I think he bungs a handfull of growmore in for good measure. Mine aren't too bad, but two months ago his were twice the size of what I've got now. He gave me a few & they were really tasty & cruchy. Just bog standard White Lisbon.

A good few years ago on my first lottie there was a guy who grew lisbon's and they were enormous....about the size of a half grown onion!!!....and absolutely delicious with a good kick! Is it too late to sow now?....forgot all about them  :oops:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Spring Onions
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 21:26 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Is it too late to sow now?....forgot all about them  :oops:

I don't know, but guess what I put in plant cells 3 days ago in the greenhouse and are through already?

They'll have to put up with 'normal soil though!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Spring Onions
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 21:27 »
Good idea DD.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Spring Onions
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 21:30 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Good idea DD.  :D

It's another good second use for grow bag compost.

There's a limit to how many radish you can grow in cat litter trays!

Bob

Spring Onions
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 22:59 »
I experimented between direct sowing of spring onions and sowing some in modules this year...the modules that were sown and transplanted faired much better, though they were thinned to individual spring onions and then sown out.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Spring Onions
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 17:09 »

Lend you my 2 guinea pigs they demolish radish tops and roots a like ! :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Spring Onions
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 17:49 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Lend you my 2 guinea pigs they demolish radish tops and roots a like ! :lol:

The voice of bitter experience?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Spring Onions
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 19:56 »
No just grateful something other than the slugs eat my radishes, I'm planting more cheap feed  :lol:

johnhar

Spring Onions
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 21:02 »
SOWN MY LISBON ONION SEED 17/7/2008 READY FOR PULLING FROM NEXT FEBRUARY, BUT ALWAYS HAVE A FEW OUT AT Christmas. I SOW ONE LOT DIRECT INTO THE SOIL AND SOME IN TRAYS OF 50 CELLS ABOUT 4/5 SEEDS PER CELL, THESE GET PLANTED OUT AT THE SAME TIME AS MY SPRING CABBAGE, BEEN DOING IT THIS WAY FOR MANY YEARS. THE ONE ADVANTAGE OF PLANTING THE ONIONS OUT IN EARLY OCTOBER IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEED THEM UNTILL SPRING. HAVE A GO ITS WORTH THE EFFORT.
john

DD.

• Global Moderator
Spring Onions
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 21:13 »
Thanks for that tip John, but could I ask you not to post in capitals. It makes it very difficult for a lot of people to read and whilst I know it wasn't meant that way, internet protocols deem it as shouting and impolite.

yummy

Spring Onions
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 21:59 »
I just built raised beds and today I ordered white lisbon seed so will give this a go  :wink:  thanks

DIGGER

Spring Onions
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26 »
I'm not fond of radish,but I think i will give Rons spring onions a go ,but i dont think my Mrs D would approve of the airing cupboard idea.
Windowcill of warm bedroom perhaps.
I take it that perhaps next month would be a good starting time, i might just take some spent compost to lotte today.
ThankS DD

xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
question
Spring onions

Started by Pretty Chick on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 19:30
by mumofstig
xx
spring onions

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 06:08
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 38 queries.