Fenn Traps

• 9 Replies

Bodger

Fenn Traps
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:13 »
Now I'm a long way from being an expert at using Fenn traps but I have had some success with them. Later today, I'm going to resite and reset the four that I have permanently set around the place.
I have found them very useful in helping to stop rat infestations getting started and in letting me know that I may have a few around. I tend to use them in conjunction with rat poison, in as much as I have bait stations in use for just about 12 months of the year.
As well as taking rats, Fenns will also account for mink and stoats etc. Fenn traps are what are known as body crush traps. This means that they are designed to crush the body cavity of the animal causing virtually instant death. This is opposed to the now illegal leg hold traps such as the infamous gin trap.

I always have the hope that any feather taking vermin will run through the artificial tunnel that all traps must be set in, before they get to my chickens. There's nothing like being optimistic is there? icon_biggrin.gif  They say that a picture paints a thousand words, and when Kaz returns from a shopping spree later today, I hope to get her to take some snaps of me setting them.
I also bought a couple of the plastic rat bait boxes the other week and although its fairly obbvious and straight forward, I'll show you how to use them as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Fenn Traps
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:28 »
Is it like a big mouse trap bodger ?

Never had any rats (thankfully).  We always keep a mouse traps set outside the chicken run and catch quite a few. I have it in a see through plactic lunch box with a mouse whole cut in it. Makes it safe for cats and birds.

poultrygeist

Fenn Traps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:42 »
We keep our mouse trap set most of the time, except when she's just eaten and goes for long sleep on the bed  :wink:

I know we have mice in the chook run because I discovered a tunnel under a slab outide the run. One of the drawbacks of not burying the mesh.  :?
However, if there are food spillages, I always check in the morning to see if they've been cleared up and so far, none seems to have been taken.
If any is, I will be meticulous about cleaning up, but a useful alert system meantime.
rob :)

Bodger

Fenn Traps
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 20:13 »
Here are the pictures as promised.

This is a likely spot for setting a trap. Its at the back of one of my chicken sheds which has a little ditch come soak away to take the rain water from the roof. Any visiting vermin would be quite likely to have a quick scoot along what would appear to it to be a natural highway.

Here are three unset Fenns.

Heres one of the simple tunnels that I mentioned earlier. Its against the law to set fenns out in the open.

Here's the inside of the tunnel to give you an idea of its construction.

Heres the Fenn in almost the set position. The jaws have been pressed apart and the safety mechanism is now keeping them open.

A blurred finger showing the safety mechanism.

The foot plate is then set but the safety is still kept on. Note the peg which the trap is anchored to the ground with.

The trap is set in the ditch sideways to the tunnel entrances. Now and only now do you release the safety.
The white wire is my electric fence that i have to keep foxes at bay. It doesn't work for mink, rats or stoats.

The trap is fixed with a peg and the tunnel placed carefully over it. The tunnel prevents non target species from being caught in the trap.

I've placed a couple of strategically placed stone to try and guide my prey towards the tunnel and the waiting trap.

Thats about it then. its not rocket science but do watch your fingers.  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Fenn Traps
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 20:44 »
Very helpful information Bodger  :!:

Bodger

Fenn Traps
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 17:41 »
Bingo !  :D

Do you remember me setting my Fenn in this at the beginning of the month ?

Well, slowly, slowly catch a monkey  :D   This morning, I had a none too little visitor ? Its a jolly good job i set it, because this would have made mince meat of my chickens.

A feral ferret, withing inches of my chickens.  :shock:  Thank goodness the trap was set, it certainly paid to take precautions this time. I'll reset the trap and a couple of others just to be on the safe side.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Fenn Traps
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 20:45 »
Great Bodger nice article.  :D

Questions:

1) what kind of weight sets them off ? I suppose they would let a mouse over them but not a rat ?

2)  where's the best place to buy one of theses from and how much would you expect to pay ?

3) and how long would you make the tunnel ?  nosey cats  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Bodger

Fenn Traps
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:23 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Great Bodger nice article.  :D

Questions:

1) what kind of weight sets them off ? I suppose they would let a mouse over them but not a rat ?

2)  where's the best place to buy one of theses from and how much would you expect to pay ?

3) and how long would you make the tunnel ?  nosey cats  :roll:

Hi Rich

A Fenn trap wouldn't be set off by a mouse unless it was set extremely lightly and then the jaws would miss it, but they do catch rats for fun.

There are some super deals on E-bay and I'd expect to pay four or five pounds for them for brand new ones.

I'd make the tunnel at least two foot or more long. :D

Vember

Fenn Traps
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:03 »
Great Catch Bodger

Thank goodness the trap was set and ready to go

Would hate to think what would have greated you in the morning otherwise.

Sarah :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Fenn Traps
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:33 »
Thanks Bodger  :D

xx
Fenn Trap?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 20:40
by ehs284
xx
rat traps

Started by dennis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 15:11
by dennis
xx
Fly Traps

Started by Chick Chick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 11:03
by joyfull
xx
fly traps

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 09:59
by dollybird

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.