when the end comes

• 11 Replies

gurtie

• The only bug allowed on my allotment !
when the end comes
« on: August 16, 2008, 19:54 »
when the sad day comes and one of my ladies expire.
where would one dispose repectfully of the mortal remains.
is it ok to put it in the bin ?

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
when the end comes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 21:06 »
Bury her in the garden or cremate her in an incinerator - or gor vast amounts of money your local vet will arrange a cremation ceremony and return the ashes to you - depends if she is an animal for eggs or a pet.

orfy

• Experienced Member
when the end comes
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 21:47 »
Any reason not to bag and bin?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
when the end comes
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 21:53 »
It is quite legal to "Bag and Bin" your dead pet chicken in the ordinary domestic waste.

It is illegal, however, to bury it in your garden - another example of the law being an ass  :roll:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/fallen/disposalqa.htm#3

Ruby Red

when the end comes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:31 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
It is quite legal to "Bag and Bin" your dead pet chicken in the ordinary domestic waste.

It is illegal, however, to bury it in your garden - another example of the law being an ass  :roll:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/fallen/disposalqa.htm#3

Well as long as the hearse parks down the road no one will suspect. . .  :wink:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

wighty

when the end comes
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44 »
Oh dear, it would appear I've broken the law.  All our old horses are buried in the bottom field and various dogs, hamsters, rabbits etc are all buried in the garden. I think I'll rename our house along the lines of 'Bio waste hazard area.'

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
when the end comes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:14 »
Weird it's perfectly legal to bury a human in the back garden, as long as the authorities know  :wink: and you fill in the right forms  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

when the end comes
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04 »
Where we used to live, the chap over the road, who lived with his partner, had his wife buried in the back garden. I don't think I'd like it, in case I had to move.

Buried several small animals and 2 cats though. We were nowhere near watercourses and the ground was free draining.

Rob

gurtie

• The only bug allowed on my allotment !
when the end comes
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 20:51 »
Thank's for your advice are garden is quite small and with a couple of dogs I don’t think burying is an option, I feel the cremation idea is the best and she can still be laid to rest in the garden.
thank you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
when the end comes
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 21:07 »
It's quite legal to bury pets in the garden but chickens do not qualify as pets under the DEFRA regs:

The definition of a pet animal given within the EU ABPR is 'any animal belonging to species normally nourished and kept, but not consumed, by humans for purposes other than farming'. Therefore the normal farm species such as sheep, cattle, pigs, goats and poultry etc. would fall out with this definition and would require disposal by an approved route other than burial.

Mine chooks get buried in the garden - but don't tell any one  :wink:

Porffor

when the end comes
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:43 »
I thought it was legal to bury a horse as long as no standing water in the 'hole'. If there is standing water then it's not allowed. My friend had to have her mare pts last year as she had severe colic and wasn't able to keep her on her land, she had to be 'disposed of'. :(

conventgirl

when the end comes
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:51 »
Our chucks, ducks, geese, rabbits and even a hamster have been buried in the garden.....what a stupid law!

I wont tell if you wont  :wink:

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 39 queries.