Hot smoker

• 9 Replies

David.

Hot smoker
« on: May 13, 2007, 18:00 »
Don't know whether this is equipment or cooking:

I am intending to construct a hot smoker (mainly for summer mackerel - but I don't think I'm going to get many when I to Dorset next week as it's been so windy, but I've plenty more trips planned), generally as the design in "Preserved" by Nick Sadler & Johnny Acton, using my cast iron boiling ring, Calor gas cylinder (when no longer required for heating my greenhouse), a garden incinerator (£15) set on breeze blocks with the bottom of cooking oil can full of wood chips under (I've saved loads of branches from a cooking apple tree that went over in the Spring gales), rods passed through the incinerator body supporting a drip pan (supermarket budget barbeque bowl bought at end of year - 75% off), and 2 grilles above (from aformentioned reduced price barbeques) to rest food on/hang fish from.

Does anyone know how successful these are, or would I be better off spending over 3 times as much (£49) for a charcoal fuel "portable, single grill smoker, oven and BBQ" or one advertised in angling magazines for smoking trout.

Planning construction of cold smoker fornext year.

Sheena

• Experienced Member
Hot smoker
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 19:32 »
David,

I also have the 'Preserved' book, I must have a good look at it again and try to actually preserve something before the end of the year :)

Your talk of smoker brought back many memories of my childhood in the North West Highlands of Scotland!  My grandfather constructed a simple smoker using an aluminium wardrobe from an old caravan and some oak chips, he used to smoke enough mackrel for the entire village! He drilled holes in the side of the wardrobe, threaded the fish along a wire (coathanger I think) and then hung it inside the thing.

I've just spoken to my dad to get his words of wisdom on the matter, I'll tell you what I can remember (in no particular order!)

for cold smoking, you need to soak the mackerel (or other oily fish)  in brine for about 20 minutes before hand, if you're posh you can add in juniper berries and the like. The fish then need to be put out to dry until they are all tacky, then they will take up the smoke really well.

If you are cold smoking it can be tricky to keep the fire smoking at the right temp, too hot and the fish will cook far too quickly and end up on the floor and not smoked.
My grandad used a large metal pipe to relay the smoke into the bottom of his wardrobe type thing, that way it was cold smoke and the fire was seperate from the fish.

My father said he would give me more details on the smoker and even draw a picture for you if you are interested, I guess it's similar to the one in the preserved book though :D
Organic :)

WG.

Hot smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 19:43 »
Quote from: "Sheena"
North West Highlands of Scotland
Whereabouts, do tell us?

Sheena

• Experienced Member
Hot smoker
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 19:47 »
Achiltibuie to be precise, famous for the Lucy Irvine of original 'Castaway' fame, The Summer Isles Hotel (owned by her brother) and the Hydroponicum, and of course me!

There is also a Smokehouse there, was pleasantly surprised to get their flyer in a pile of bumpf from Thompson and Morgan last week.

WG.

Hot smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 19:52 »
Boy that is N&W.  Must go there sometime but am always headed up the East Coast to catch the ferry into Orkney.

Did I dream this up or was John Ridgeway (the oarsman) involved in the Hydroponicum at one time?

Sheena

• Experienced Member
Hot smoker
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 19:58 »
I don't know WG, I'll need to ask my dad on that one.

And yes, you must go to the West Coast at least once!

WG.

Hot smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 20:07 »
I've seen the Great Glen from Corran all the way up to Inverness.  I walked the West Highland Way the same year it opened (Glasgow to Fort William).  I love Arran & almost made it to Melvich once.

But yes I'll need to get across to the NW sometime soon.  Tell your Dad to smoke an extra side of salmon this year & I'll trade him for some smoked garlic!   :D   Wild salmon, mind you - none of this farmed stuff.

bert

Hot smoker
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 20:41 »
iv,e justed took my eels out of the hot smoker, for our supper with home made bread & a nice bottle of ale My smoker is an old pot belly bbq,with a big wooden box on top. :wink:

WG.

Hot smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 20:59 »
My smoker is an older version of this

We brought it back from Texas.  LHS is fire compartment, RHS is smoking chamber.

I'd guess it is about 5ft wide, solid steel, weighs a ton and is called, obviously, Thomas the Tank Engine.

David.

Hot smoker
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:23 »
Quote from: "Sheena"

My father said he would give me more details on the smoker and even draw a picture for you if you are interested, I guess it's similar to the one in the preserved book though

A few tips would be very useful.

I initially regreted giving away that old metal (wardrobe size) cupboard I picked up for £5 when the practice where I worked moved to smaller premises, until I remembered the reason for disposing of it was because it was so damn heavy.

xx
Building a Cold Smoker.

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 14:54
by Alex 98

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 36 queries.