flame gun for weeds

• 10 Replies

smartie

flame gun for weeds
« on: August 15, 2007, 18:30 »
Hi

we have just aquirred a flame gun from freecycle our second plot was so over grown with weeds and thistles i burned the lot left it for two days and went over it again to burn the dead ones its great.

if you can hire one i would recommend it  4 days and all weeds have gone no weed killer just nice potash for the garden

Nigel

wildeone

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 18:33 »
but aren't the roots still a bit of a problem????? Like that idea as an organic alternative!

smartie

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 18:38 »
Hi

Burn baby burn not a root left to grow

we also dug a plot burned the twitch and roots turned again burned it again untill we had no more

Nigel

wildeone

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 18:45 »
Sounds like fun :lol:  Think i could pull off the flame thrower lara croft look!!!???!!!! :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Hubby just read over my shoulder and almost choked to death inhaling his cuppa!!!! Serves him right!!!!!

smartie

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 18:48 »
nice thought what a picture you paint down the allottment dressed like lara croft

nigel

muntjac

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 20:40 »
building bonfires on the plot is a time established way of clearing ground of weeds and rubbish it also gives valuable nitrates etc to the ground  dont use any painted or creosoted wood tho folks this puts poisons back in and in the air  :wink:
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
flame gun for weeds
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 20:55 »
Great idea but if you live in Leicester area get in quick, some bright spark ( excuse the pun ) wants to ban all bonfires etc on city plots, what a prat is my view  :evil:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Allotment Angel

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:10 »
Ok, so what did we do wrong?  We bought one of those weed flame thrower things earlier in the year and hubby spent the best part of a day burning everything in sight that looked like a weed.  However, the dandelions just laughed in our face and were fine again a few days later :(   Left with the old fashioned dig 'em out job before we could plant anything.  Wondered if we were using the wrong gas.  We just used what we normaly use for camping-butane.  He thinks maybe we should have used propane- he muttered something about a higher pressure or something.  What do you think?   :?

WG.

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 09:18 »
I think you need to repeat the process until they give up

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
flame gun for weeds
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I think you need to repeat the process until they give up

Exactly whisky! burning only kills top growth ok with annuals, but perennials will need further treatments.

Bobby T

flame gun for weeds
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 15:46 »
A guy on a plot two up from me was clearing his plot with a gas torch this time last year.He left the site for lunch without hosing it down.I heard the explosion of the gas bottle at home a quarter of a mile away!
There were over a hundred racing pigeons killed when flaming debris set fire to their loft.It would have spread to my shed but for promt action of brigade.In my opinion digging is the safest and most satisfying way to clear your plot.   Bob

xx
weeds

Started by mfconway on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 10:19
by fletch
question
Are these weeds?

Started by Dkang on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 23:44
by gobs
xx
Weeds, weeds, weeds!

Started by Steve.P on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 12:39
by compostqueen
xx
Favourite weeds:)

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 22:52
by RichardA

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 38 queries.