Henry Handy Hints Number Whatever.Runner Beans Bumper Crop

• 8 Replies

mkhenry

It takes a brave or foolhardy man to post a handy hint on runner beans on this knowledgable foram,but here goes anyway. :shock: ..............When your runners start to slow down it can be quiet depressing,so if you want a second bumper crop.................Put a good shovel of horse manure in a large bucket of water.........Leave for around a week.........Wait for the leaves on your runners to start to turn and shrivel and carefully remove them all so that you are left with the few tiny runner beans and bare stalks.........Then pour your magic liquid on the roots of your beans.Around 1 bucket full to 12 feet of beans...................Result. A new crop of beans, best picked small,they will taste so sweet :lol: ................Sorry WG but this hardly works north of the border,the further south you go the better it works. 8)
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 22:39 »
Well I'm trying Munty's bean frame this year, so I guess I'll have to try this tip too MkHenry  :D

mkhenry

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 22:44 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Well I'm trying Munty's bean frame this year, so I guess I'll have to try this tip too MkHenry  :D

Aunty you will not regret it.  I do this every year and always get a second bumper crop.  I take some small extra tender ones and blanch and freeze them for Chrismas day(which is just around the corner :shock: )They taste all the sweeter because they are a free second crop. :wink:...................Forgot to add repeat after 2 weeks to get the very last beans possible :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Henry Handy Hints Number Whatever.Runner Beans Bumper Cr
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 22:58 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Wait for the leaves on your runners to start to turn and shrivel and carefully remove them all so that you are left with the few tiny runner beans and bare stalks.........

This sounds really strange MkH.  If you remove the dieing leaves are there small bean pods growing already.  Will there be new leaves and flowers sprouting after the "treatment"  :?:

mkhenry

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 23:19 »
What happens is the plant having no leaves puts all of its energy into new beans.  The leaves and the beans are different parts both taking nutrition from the roots.........When you remove all the leaves there are bound to be some beans still growing,leave them on...............The reason it does not work so well the further up north you go is the failing light and colder temperature both at night and during the day.............You know already that if you let a single bean grow too big the plant will switch off and stop producing other beans.Well in this case you are fooling the plant into thinking that it is still growing instead of shutting down.......After two or even 3 weeks depending on the weather it will catch on and stop producing :lol: ,but in the mean time you have got yourself an extra crop. :lol:

WG.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 00:09 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Sorry WG but this hardly works north of the border,the further south you go the better it works.
Hard enough getting them to crop once up here, mate.  :wink:

mkhenry

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 00:19 »
Yer but I bet they are very tasty when you pop them in the pot.  The best I ever had, other than my own of course, where grown not a lottie away from the highlands,and not even a hot summer.However he did not get a very heavy grop. He went for flavour not amount. When this man moved down south he went for both.It was he who put me on to the tip of stripping the leaves to extend the harvest and that was over 45 years ago. :lol: Try as hard as I could I could never beat him :cry:

weeeed

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 21:54 »
[)[/quote]

Well, I'm not sure whether I'm doing something very wrong or very right! As my beans had grown too large to move by the time I got my lottie I left them growing up the side of the house. I thought quite a few of the leaves were stopping (don't laugh) the sun getting to the beans so I've been cutting them off for about 2 weeks now, the beans taste good and I've got plenty on.
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

brucesgirl

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 18:59 »
I don't do anything to mine and for the past few years they carry on cropping till October - oh but not last year because they got burnt up in July.

xx
Henrys Handy Hints Number Whatever and 1

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
handy asparagus hints and tips please

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 22:20
by gobs
xx
Henrys Handy Hints No.Whatever And 3 Storing Onions

10 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 23:24
by mushroom
xx
Henrys Handy Hint Number 4

28 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 21:20
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.